If you plan and prepare to teach English as a second language to non-native speakers at the university level, then you would need this Academic TESOL online course. This course covers the principles of language learning, the different language learning theories, and how they apply to teach English as a second language in academic contexts. You will also learn about the different types of language skills, such as reading, writing, speaking, and listening, and how to develop lesson plans and classroom activities that target these skills.
Language Specification:The course introduces students to the fundamentals of English language description, such as phonetics, phonology, and grammar. Participants will learn how to identify and define the English sound system, word structure, and sentence structure and apply this information in their classroom instruction.
Analysis of Discourse:The course goes into discourse analysis principles, looking at how language is used in context to communicate meaning. Participants will learn how to analyse various types of discourse, including as spoken and written language, and how to use this analysis to create effective language teaching practises.
Morphology and syntactic structure:Participants will obtain a comprehension of word and sentence structure in English and how these forms may be employed to produce meaning. The course covers morphological processes, word classes, syntactic structures, and practical tips for teaching these ideas to language learners.
Sociology and Psycholinguistics:The course examines the social and psychological elements influencing language acquisition and instruction, such as culture, identity, and motivation. Participants will learn how to build a friendly and inclusive learning environment and adapt their teaching approach to their learners' needs and preferences.
Evaluation and testing:The course covers the ideas and practises of language testing and evaluation, such as using formative and summative assessments and creating trustworthy and valid testing instruments. Learners will receive hands-on experience preparing, conducting exams, and interpreting test findings to improve their teaching practice. Overall, Course Central's Academic TESOL online course offers a complete and practical approach to teaching English to speakers of different languages at the academic level. You will gain the skills and knowledge needed to become effective language teachers in a variety of academic settings, with a focus on language description, discourse analysis, morphology and syntax, socio and psycholinguistics, and assessment and evaluation.
What can you do after completing this course?After completing the Academic TESOL online course from Course Central, participants will have gained a thorough understanding of the principles and practices of teaching English to speakers of other languages at an academic level. Here are some of the things that anyone can do after completing the course:
- Teach English as a second language in academic settings, such as universities, colleges, and language schools.
- Develop and deliver effective language teaching programs and lesson plans tailored to learners' needs and abilities at different proficiency levels.
- Use a range of teaching methodologies and approaches, including task-based learning, communicative language teaching, and content-based instruction.
- Apply language description, discourse analysis, morphology and syntax, socio and psycholinguistics, and testing and evaluation principles and practices to inform their teaching practice.
- Assess and evaluate learners' language proficiency using formative and summative assessment methods, and use assessment data to inform their teaching practice.
- Create a supportive, inclusive learning environment fostering learner engagement, motivation, and autonomy.
- Use technology effectively to enhance language learning and teaching, including online tools and resources, digital media, and learning management systems.
- Engage in ongoing professional development, staying up-to-date with the latest research and best practices in language teaching and learning.
Why Choose Academic TESOL course?
- Developed and delivered by qualified industry experts
- Get Instant E-certificate
- Fully online, interactive course with Professional voice-over
- Self-paced learning and laptop, tablet, smartphone friendly
Career prospects of this courseThe Academic TESOL online course from Course Central provides a comprehensive and practical approach to teaching English to speakers of other languages at an academic level. Upon completion of the course, participants will have gained a range of skills and knowledge that can be applied to a variety of rewarding career opportunities in the field of language teaching and learning. Here are some of the specific career opportunities that are available for those who complete the Academic TESOL course:
- English Language Teacher: One of the most common career paths for those who complete an Academic TESOL course is to become an English language teacher. With the knowledge and skills gained from the course, graduates can teach English to speakers of other languages at all levels, from beginner to advanced, in a variety of settings, including universities, colleges, language schools, and private tutoring.
- Curriculum Developer: Another career path for graduates of the Academic TESOL course is curriculum development. Graduates can use their knowledge of language description, discourse analysis, morphology and syntax, socio and psycholinguistics, and testing and evaluation principles to design and develop language teaching curricula that are tailored to the needs of specific learner groups or contexts.
- Teacher Trainer: Graduates of the Academic TESOL course can also pursue a career as a teacher trainer, supporting other English language teachers to improve their teaching practice. This could involve developing and delivering training programs, providing mentoring or coaching, or conducting teacher evaluations and assessments.
- Language Assessment Specialist: With the knowledge and skills gained from the course, graduates can also pursue a career in language assessment. This could involve designing and developing language tests and assessments, administering tests, or analyzing and interpreting test results to inform language teaching and learning.
- Education Administrator: Graduates of the Academic TESOL course can also pursue careers in education administration, such as program coordinators, academic advisors, or educational consultants. These roles involve overseeing language teaching and learning programs, developing policies and procedures, and providing guidance and support to teachers and learners.
Industry Expert Instructor
Rated Excellent on Trustpilot
- Introduction – Academic TESOL FREE 00:04:00
- Language Description 00:16:00
- Discourse Analysis 00:30:00
- Testing and Evaluation 00:32:00
- Get Your Certificate & Transcript 00:00:00